Friday, February 12, 2010

Motivation: The major key for active learning

Motivation is the most crucial element of a child's education.It is one of the primary causes of the range in score.Thus,inorder to maximize students' interest in learning,students must be motivated. Here are some ways I use to motivate my students: 1- I start every session by linking the lesson to students' everyday experiences,such as placing problems in real life context. 2- I manage time using stop watch.Students will be excited to finish their classwork on time. 3- I let students decide what they would like to do in every session by setting "Today's Plan" together. 4- I encourage students to concentrate on the learning process rather than the final outcome. 5- I focus on group activity and collaborative work,this allow students to share the thinking load and act as models for each other. 6- I implement active and student-involved activities to increase students' interest in the subject.

4 comments:

Ghina Al-Badawi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ghina Al-Badawi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ghina Al-Badawi said...

Interesting Rawaa!
Actually motivation is a key factor in increasing achievement. In my dissertation i took it as a key variable as i measure the effect of ICT on achievement.
I was expecting to see the encouragement cards used by all teachers as one of your strategies. I see that you focused on building the internal motivation of students, which is great! We also focus on Skinner's external motivation techniques.
Way to go Rawaa!
I like what you do :)

Rawaa Shehab said...

Thank you for your encouragement and MOTIVATING comments.
You can't imagine the spark that I see in students' eyes when using any of the above techniques.
Also I motivate students by giving them the "reward cards".Students compete to get more cards and this creates a very positive learning atmosphere in the classroom.